Our artists in residence:
Other fantastic museums, art galleries and heritage sites in the Bristol area. All are well worth a visit!
- Arnos Vale Cemetery Trust
- Bristol Museum & Art Gallery
- Clifton Suspension Bridge
- Royal West of England Academy
- Frenchay Museum & Archives
- SS Great Britain
Other Museums about Mental Health, Learning Difficulties and Medical themes
- The Mental Health Museum – run by South West Yorkshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, this is a museum with a fantastic mental health collection.
- Bethlem Museum of the Mind – cares for a collection of archives, art and historic objects, which support the history of mental healthcare and treatment.Bethlem Royal Hospital was founded in 1247 and was the first institution in the UK to specialise in the care of the mentally ill.
- Langham Down Museum of Learning Difficulties – situated in leafy Teddington, Middlesex. What is now the museum was once the home and intuition of Victorian physician Dr. John Langdon Down, known for his description of what we now call Down syndrome.
- Freud Museum, London – based in what was the home of Sigmund Freud and his family after they escaped from the Nazis in 1938, this is a wonderful museum exploring Freud’s psychoanalytic legacy.
- Old Operating Theatre Museum – take a step back in time in the old operating theatre and museum.
- Hunterian Museum – boasts unrivalled collections of human and non-human anatomical and pathological specimens, models, instruments, painting and sculptures that reveal the art and science of surgery from the 17th century to the present day.
- The Gordon Museum of Pathology, London – the largest medical museum in the UK, with many important historical collections but is not open to the general public.
- Wellcome Collection – a brilliant collection of the medical for the “incurably curious”.
- Science Museum London – has a significant collection of items from mental health institutions and medical matters in addition to many other collections.
- South Western Federation of Museums & Art Galleries – the voice of museums and galleries across the South West.
- Museums Association – advocating the need for museums since 1889!